The perfect chili recipe - Ultimate Turkey and Bean Chili is ready in just over an hour. Serves 6.
Here’s the story: I REALLY like chili. Like a lot. As in I eat chili in the middle of July. And I call this my Ultimate Turkey and Bean Chili because it is my most perfected of all chili recipes. I’ve been playing around with this for years, adjusting spices, trying different “secret ingredients” and this is the result. And it’s really good. Trust me.
My two SECRET ingredients aren’t anything fancy: it’s just apple cider vinegar and real maple syrup. And no, adding maple syrup to your chili will not make it taste like a pancake; the maple syrup adds just a hint of sweet to balance out the other spices.
Ultimate Turkey and Bean ChiliPrint Pin Rate
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 15 ounces black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 24 ounces crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- Heat a 6 quart stock pot over medium heat. Add the vegetable oil and diced onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin to stock pot. Stir and heat for 1 minute. Add turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook until turkey is brown, stirring occasionally (about 8 minutes).
- Add black beans, kidney beans and chicken broth. Stir until combined. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, bay leaf, and frozen corn. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add green bell pepper, apple cider vinegar and maple syrup; stir to combine. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in refrigerator up to 5 days.